Despite not being a huge fan of plain white rice, I cook it fairly often as a side for jalfrezi (recipe to follow). I much prefer rice when it’s cooked as part of the dish as in paella, oven-baked Thai curry, fish parcels and so on. I used to really struggle with cooking rice until I came across a tip at Ask MetaFilter
and I’ve used this method ever since.
Perfectly Cooked Rice in the Microwave
- Weight out the rice into a lidded, microwavable container. Let’s say you need to cook 200g.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly while the kettle boils.
- Put the rinsed rice back into the container on the scale, reset to zero and pour the boiling water onto the rice until you again have the original weight (e.g. 200g).
- Cook the rice on full power for 4 minutes and 10 seconds (no matter the quantity).
- Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.
If you have any other tips for cooking rice, I’d love to hear them.
0 Like this recipe?